The United Community Bank is a progressive and growing state-chartered bank serving Dickinson, Clay, O'Brien and Osceola counties from its five locations in Milford, Okoboji, Hartley, Ocheyedan and Lake Park, Iowa. The Bank was formed on January 1, 1998, by combining the Dickinson County Savings Bank of Milford and Okoboji with the United Community Bank of Hartley and Ocheyedan.
The Dickinson County Savings Bank was chartered June 12, 1931 in Milford, Iowa and was originally housed in the MHR Insurance building on the southwest corner of Okoboji Avenue and 10th Street. The Bank moved to its present location in September 1975, and more than doubled in size with an addition completed in April 1996. Another addition was added to the east side of the building in 2005.
The Okoboji Office was established in March 1983, and was located in a new building constructed across from Arrowwood Resort. As part of the improvements to Highway 71, a new facility was constructed during 1998 north of the original location in Okoboji.
Past presidents of the Dickinson County Savings Bank have been John Grosskrueger from 1931 to 1934, S.I. Russell from 1934 to 1973, James W. Cravens from 1973 to 1987 and Mark C. Fisher from 1987 to present. Past Chairmen of the Board have been S.I. Russell from 1934 to 1983, James W. Cravens from 1983 to 2015, with James P. Cravens currently presiding. At the time of the merger, the Dickinson County Savings Bank was over $60 million in assets and over $45 million in loans.
The United Community Bank of Hartley and Ocheyedan, formerly known as the Ocheyedan Savings Bank, was chartered April 29, 1892 in Ocheyedan, Iowa. During its early years, the bank struggled due to absentee ownership and difficult economic times. In 1927, a major recapitalization of the bank took place that resulted in local ownership. However, during the depression the bank again struggled and was only able to survive due to a loan in 1934 from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. In 1935, the Spengler family purchased controlling interest in the bank, which continued until May 1992 when the bank was sold to a group of individuals having common ownership with the Dickinson County Savings Bank. The bank changed its name to United Community Bank to facilitate moving its charter to Hartley, Iowa in December 1995, with the Ocheyedan bank continuing to operate as a branch. A mobile bank trailer was used in Hartley until a new building was completed in November 1996.
Past presidents of the Ocheyedan Savings Bank have been C.S. McLaury in 1892, H.W. Glade in 1927, Ed Spengler in 1939, Charles Spengler in 1940, and Steve Spengler from 1984 to 1992, when the bank was sold. At the time of the merger, Mark C. Fisher was President of United Community Bank, which had over $25 million in assets and over $21 million in loans.
On November 23, 1998, the deposits of the First Federal Savings Bank, Hartley Office, Sioux City, Iowa were purchased. Approximately $7 million in deposits were purchased.
On April 17, 2000, a Loan Production Office was opened in Lake Park. On July 1, 2001, the Lake Park Office became a full-service office.
On June 1, 2002, the United Community Bank acquired the assets and deposits of the Security State Bank, Hartley, Lake Park and Milford offices. Approximately $50 million in assets and deposits were acquired.
On September 15, 2003, the Hartley offices were consolidated into the downtown location.
In the fall of 2014, the United Community Bank Downtown Milford Office, went through a major remodeling project, along with adding drive-up services to the east side of the building. The new drive-up at the downtown location opened on October 20, 2014.
The drive-up location at 1905 Okoboji Avenue in North Milford closed on October 18, 2014. The building was sold December 12, 2014.
The United Community Bank is now in excess of $205 million in assets and $177 million in loans. The Bank continues to grow as a community oriented, locally owned commercial bank offering a full range of traditional and innovative banking services to the residents of Northwest Iowa.